Gavar (Armenian: Գավառ), is a town and urban municipal community in Armenia serving as the administrative centre of Gegharkunik Province. It is situated among the high mountains of Gegham range to the west of Lake Sevan, with an average height of 1982 meters above sea level. Located 98 kilometers east of the capital Yerevan. As per the 2016 official estimate, the population of Gavar is 19,500.
The town was known as Nor Bayezet or Novo-Bayazet until 1959, named after the Western Armenian town of Bayazet (historically known as Daroynk and Arshakavan). Between 1959 and 1995, the town was known as Kamo, named after the Bolshevik revolutionary Kamo (Simon Ter-Petrosian). On December 4, 1995, the town was renamed Gavar, meaning county in the Armenian language.
However, Gavar is colloquially known as Kyavar (Քյավառ) since the 19th century.
Bolshevik revolutionary Kamo. It was once home to 36,400 people at the beginning of the 1980s.
After the independence of Armenia in, the town was renamed Gavar in 1995 and became the provincial centre of the newly established Gegharkunik Region. However, much of the Soviet-era infrastructure of the town has failed and the industrial capacity has floundered. As a result, the population of Gavar has drastically declined to 23,302 as reported in the 2001 census, and later to 20,765 as reported in the 2011 census.
Gavar features a humid continental climate, which is characterized by cold winters and warm summers. The annual precipitation level is 450 mm.
Gavar State University was opened in 1993 after the independence of Armenia. With its five faculties Gavar University is a major educational centre for the entire region of Gegharkunik. The University provides degrees in Philology, Natural Sciences, Humanities, Economics and Education. Nowadays, more than 2,400 students are attending the University.